Internet Connection Troubleshooting
Easy troubleshooting tips:
How to Reboot a Router + Modem
- Unplug both router & modem from electrical outlet
- Wait at least 3 Minutes
- Plug the modem back in
- Wait at least 3 minutes
- Plug the router back in
- Wait at least 3 minutes
- Test to see if the problem went away
If you are still having issues, you can read more below or give us a call at 440 775 4001.
More troubleshooting tips and explanations:
Cable Co-op provides access to the Internet for its members via a cable modem and some members utilize our wireless service. Cable Co-op is only responsible for the equipment we supply, which is the cable modem and in some cases a router. The friendly technicians often will try to help when they can, but they do not support software, hardware, printers, networking issues, or any other device besides those owned by Cable Co-op.
There are many factors to Internet connection issues, the cable modem, routers, switches, IP phone devices, hardware, and software on the device trying to connect can all play a role in Internet connection problems. We will cover the basics of how to troubleshoot an internet connection issue.
Can any device connect to the Internet? If so, then the device that cannot connect is the issue. There are too many factors for Cable Co-op to cover when it comes to a single device not being able to connect. This is not a cable modem issue or a router issue and Cable Co-op can try to help but only during regular business hours. Here are some basics to try:
- Check to make sure you are connected to your network, if it is a wireless network does the device show connection to it? If not, you must first connect the device to the network, via wireless or wired connection.
- If you are connected to the network, shutdown device, wait 5 minutes, and then start it back up. Retry connection.
If no device can connect to the Internet:
- Check cable modem for lights, there should be 4 solid lights and one light that flickers. These lights can vary in color depending on which modem you have and what device you are using to connect to it.
- No lights? Check to make sure power cord in plugged into modem and working electrical outlet. The power cord is the black cord located on the modem. If this does not work, please call Cable Co-op for further help.
- Try unplugging the cable modem from your electrical outlet for five minutes, plug back in and wait another five minutes. Now try to connect to the internet.
- Check the coaxial connection on back of modem and at the wall, make sure they are hand tight, but never use a tool to tighten them, over tightening can cause damage to the modem. Then try step two again.
- Check the Ethernet cable from modem to router or from modem to computer, make sure it is plugged in at both ends. If the cable is plugged in and you use a router or any other device between modem and computer, remove device/devices and plug Ethernet straight from modem into computer (make sure device is powered on). Wait a five minutes then try to connect, if you can connect then the issue is deriving from the device you just bypassed.
- . If none of these steps work in resolving your connection issue it is time to call Cable Co-op for further help, 440 775 4001. The on-call technician will call you back as soon as possible, often within 30 minutes. If the technician is with another member or is working on a larger issue, it may take longer to receive a call back.
Other factors to consider
- Recent software or hardware changes
- New device that has never been connected to your network
- No power from electrical outlet
- If you need help in understanding your software programs, or wish to learn more advanced features of your programs please feel free to contact The Bridge; located at 82 South Main St, phone# 774-3820, or e-mail at:email@example.com.